It’s snowing here, and on days like today you just want a good hot drink without having to venture out. My kids got their Swiss Miss fix this morning and I was a little jealous, but didn’t want all the sugar, so I put together a caffeinated hot chocolate for myself. This one is nourishing and can be a breakfast on its own (but goes really nicely with a piece of gluten free toast).
- About 8 oz water
- 1/4 can full-fat coconut milk
- 1.5 tablespoons good quality cacao powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee
- 1 scoop unflavored collagen powder
- 1 tablespoon honey (more or less, to taste)
- About two teaspoons grass-fed butter or ghee
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Bring water and coconut milk to a boil in a saucepan. Whisk in all other ingredients until they are fully combined. Turn off heat. Move the pan to a non-heated surface and place on top of a hot pad. Using an immersion blender’s whipping tool, beat the mixture until a froth forms. (You can also whisk it more in the pan, this will just make it frothier). Pour into a large mug and enjoy!